Monday, April 23, 2012

Life on the road

It all started in about December of 2011. There I was jobless, broke and nothing to my name. But I knew I couldn't last like this for long. So I did what any supportive husband would do. I went out and found a job that sacrifices a lot. That job was getting into the field of professional driving. So I made the initial step and called up a few companies. One company that sparked my interest was a company called C.R. England. They offered me free training. Unfortunately it was also unpaid training. So for three weeks I managed to live on what little food I was able to bring with me on a bus trip and a total of 40 bucks. After my three week training, I was then sent out with a trainer. Although he didn't teach me much about driving, he did teach me about the ropes of C.R. England. I completed 30 days with him! He wasn't a bad guy. He was very clean, and polite. His native home was in Africa which I thought was pretty cool! Well after my 30 days with him, i was then sent to Burns Harbor, Indiana to do a phase 1 upgrade. After completing my phase 1 upgrade with flying colors I was then sent out with a Phase 2 trainer. This stage of the training was suppose to teach me how to be successful in leasing a truck through C.R. England. However I did learn some good pointers through my first phase 2 trainer. I knew leasing wasn't going to be for me! After only one week with my phase 2 trainer I had to be issued another phase 2 trainer because my first one was taking home time for longer than a week. My second phase 2 trainer had great intentions. But had no  idea how to run a trucking business and honestly had no right trying to teach me how to run one either. But anyways instead of sitting in a hotel waiting for someone else to come along. It turns out beside the bad business person he really was a cool guy. On our first trip together he took me to his house and he made me a steak dinner! And man was it delicious!! After that though things didn't go as planned. We never really got training miles nor team miles for that fact. So things got a little rough. After about 3 weeks with this guy I finally had enough. I called up my training manager and was like hey I need off this truck asap how can I do that? She was like apply for a Mid-western regional fleet. So that's what I did.
I went on some home time. which was well needed because I haven't been home for over two months now! Well when it was time to come off my home time, I was issued a bus ticket back to Burns Harbor, Indiana. This is were i did my upgrade process again. After completing my upgrade, I was then assigned a truck and was on my way to making some big money!
     Here I am finally driving solo. Or so I thought. to be continued...........

No comments:

Post a Comment